July 13th, 2009 by pfischer
In the grand tradition of the Internet, I’ve started up a fund to right a wrong. Jared Axelrod is one of the most creative people I’ve ever met. He is simply awesome. About a year ago he purchased my old Apple G4 Powerbook from me. I was really excited at the prospect of him being able to create new and wonderful things to share while on the road.
Unfortunately the laptop screen got broken in an accident a short time later and the machine, while still operational, is anchored to his desktop by a large and clunky monitor. No longer can he create on the go as the universe intended.
So I implore you, please help us get Jared’s laptop fixed. I found a company in California that will repair it for $250. I expect he’ll have to spend between $30 and $50 boxing it up to travel safely as well as for postage and insurance. So I’ve created the ChipIn.com fund for a total of $300 (less PayPal fees). [NOTE: I couldn’t figure out how to have Chipin.com show our donation, so I lowered the original amount to reflect our gift.]
Anything you can spare would be a great help. Please consider give a few bucks to help him get his mobile mojo back in gear. Every $5 or $10 you can spare will get him closer to creating more wonderful things without being anchored to a monitor.
Category: Author, Friends, Social Responsibility, Tribe |
Comments Off on Help Jared Get His Laptop Repaired for His Birthday
August 22nd, 2008 by pfischer
Mur Lafferty has released her novel Playing for Keeps for free as a PDF.
A free book? There’s no such thing as a free book! What’s the catch?
No catch. It’s free. But, Mur asks that if you like it you purchase it from Amazon.com on August 25. She’s making a run on Amazon and really needs us all to pitch in and help her get noticed. She, like so many others, has a book contract now. But podcasting novels are still a new medium for delivery and we need to show the publishing industry that this makes a difference.
Martha and I have read the PDF version multiple time. We help Mur by making the PDFs and doing layout and formatting. We also did a little editing. All of this was to help Mur make the best product possible. We bought the first version of Playing for Keeps when it was self-published on Lulu.com. And now we’re joining her for her run on Amazon and we’ll be buying multiple copies of Playing for Keeps as published by Swarm Press.
Mur has delivered countless hours of enjoyment and encouragement to the pod-o-sphere. She has also inspired and rallied people including me. It is not an exaggeration to say that if Mur wasn’t here I wouldn’t be either. I wonder how many other people to whom you listen, read, and watch are here because they were inspired by Mur Lafferty. I’m guessing the number is larger than you think.
So be ready to place your order from Amazon.com for Playing for Keeps on Monday August 25. Be there! Aloha.
Category: Author, Balticon 41, Balticon 42, Balticon 43, Book, Events, FarPoint Media, Freebie, Friends, Geek, News, Podcast, sci-fi |
Comments Off on Free Book: Playing For Keeps full PDF with bonus story- PARASITE AWAKENS
August 17th, 2008 by pfischer
This week the mighty Mur Lafferty and her beloved vintage Jim Van Verth join us to talk books, writing, publishing, and more.
- Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA for Paul
- Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout for Jim
- Ravenswood Cabernet for Mur
- Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications, Second Edition: A Programmer’s Guide at Amazon.com
- It was funnier the first time
- Mur’s first fiction novel is coming out from Swarm Press on 8/25
- Playing for Keeps at Amazon.com
- This week we experiment with asking questions from our followers on Twitter
- PROMO: Astral Audio Experience
- Jim’s Essential Math website
- Favorite TV Shows: for Mur, The Office and for Jim The Closer. Together: Heroes or Battlestar Galactica
- Heroes, feh
- Favorite books from childhood
- Dr. Horrible vs Playing for Keeps
- The News from Poughkeepsie
- The Piddler
- The games Jim would bring back from obscurity if he could: Liubo, Shuanglu, and Magic Realm
- MUSIC: Playing for Keeps by The Beatnik Turtle
- PROMO: Playing For Keeps experience. Join us on 8/25 to help Mur make her run on Amazon.com
Category: Author, Beer, BeerCast, Book, Events, FarPoint Media, Geek, Humor, Interview, Podcast, Wine, WineCast |
3 Comments »
August 7th, 2008 by pfischer
The force of nature known as Tee Morris and the irrepressible Philippa “The Killer Librarian” Ballantine join us for their last and best Double Trouble interview. Martha and I interview Tee and Pip about writing, life, and all sorts of things.
- Beverage roundup
- Black Adder
- Quantum Leap
- Don’t mess with the librarians
- PROMO: Christiana’s Shallow Thoughts
- PROMO: I Should Be Writing
- Cataloging duels of librarians
- Fear the weeding policy
- I AM Survivor Dad!
- “The dark goddess must dine on tears!”
- PROMO: Metamor City
- PROMO: Reality Break
- Tee Morris in a barrel
- Double Trouble (links galore)
- Free PDFs have over 50,000 downloads!
- Why haven’t they been Boing Boing‘d?
- Don’t whine Tee
- If you want me to post your PDFs you have to ask me
- If you’re going to buy, please do so on 8/8/08 on Amazon.com
- Getting voice parts for future podcasts of Digital Magic and Pitcher’s Pendant
- Tee and Pip talk about the plots of their upcoming books
- Pip and Tee trapped in the same body
- Erotica a la Carte
- Tee will be organizing live events at Balticon 43
- MUSIC: Girls, Skirts, Boots, Bikes by The Buck Brothers
Category: Author, Balticon 43, BeerCast, Book, Erotica, fantasy, FarPoint Media, Friends, Humor, Interview, Music, News, Podcast, sci-fi |
Comments Off on ADD Cast 061 – Double! No Trouble